Thursday, January 14, 2016

The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: THE REVENANT



The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: 
on THE REVENANT (2015, 156 minutes, R)



The Quick of It -
There are those films that are released during the course of the year that seem like they are flying under the radar, not as hyped as the superhero or summer blockbuster flicks.  And some those quiet steppers find themselves treading towards the 'big-boy awards' waters.  THE REVENANT is one of those films, and it is not surprising.

 
Director Alejandro González Iñárritu has taken on the more artsy projects like BIRDMAN, BABEL, and BUITIFUL in the past.  THE REVENANT sits oh so close but offers more to a broader audience.  Based in part on a novel by Michael Punke, this film resonated with me much like other atmospheric films like THE GREY and APOCALYPTO.  Cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki who is known for a long list of credits, to include GRAVITY and SLEEPY HOLLOW, does not falter when given a man vs. environment project, that find a way visually to accentuate the way of life in this period piece.

There have been many (probably too many to be comfortable with) films that I would have put on the short list to be recognized by the industry and not make the cut.  This is not one of those that has fallen to snobbish arrogance or good ol' boy favoritism, and I am thankful for that.  I only had to see the trailer to know what I was in store for and was treated with much more.  I will say that I wished it had a little dash of mysticism sprinkled in concerning the lore of a revenant and leaving it more open for discussion, but I'll deal.


The acting across the board is fantastic and riveting, you are not once pulled out of the setting for this long run-time.  And I will admit that Mr. DiCaprio was not an actor I respected, until I saw him in SHUTTER ISLAND and INCEPTION, and retraced him back to BLOOD DIAMOND and some of his other earlier work.  Tom Hardy has had my attention since INCEPTION and WARRIOR.  Under their shadows in this film is Will Poulter creeping out (using that phrase as he is to be Pennywise in the upcoming IT) to make his youthful way in Hollywood and leave his mark here.

I am grateful that this film is receiving the attention it deserves.  You should rush out and see THE REVENANT on the big screen while you can, to be sure to get the full experience.  The bear scene alone is a must.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment