Thursday, August 25, 2016

The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: WAR DOGS


The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic:
on WAR DOGS (2016, 114 minutes, R)


The Quick of It -
This week I had choices.  You would think that there is a preferred choice, and that is mostly true.  This week's preferred choice should probably have been BEN-HUR.  While I am not a purest, and do enjoy a good Roman movie, this did not appeal to my sense of 'need' at the moment.  I needed something with a little more edge and possibly a laugh or two.

Of course as the movie is starting, I am questioning my choice... why wouldn't I.  WAR DOGS doesn't promise much but looks like it may have some decent moments.  We have Miles Teller and Jonah Hill playing an 'arms dealer duo' that is based on a true story - of David Packouz and Efraim Diveroli, who capitalized on the fall of the arms race era. 


The studio sold this as a comedy, which is not entirely true.  Yes, director Todd Phillips is known for the HANGOVERs and OLD SCHOOOL, but his was not in that vein of "ha-ha".  Instead, it was a blending of a true story style progression with comedy sprinkled in, and was the correct formula.  The movie was broken into chapters for better transitions and avoided the choppier formats prevalent in 'based on real events' movies.  Adding the narration of the lead character, Packouz, the final product felt more like a visual book.  I call that a win! 


The acting was above par.  There were some stereotyping going on for minor characters, some added character quirks to add flavor, and situational levity for attempts at uniqueness.  But this story has been told before... or so it would seem.  Hill's laugh for the character was by far the funniest part.  Every time... every time...  made me chuckle.  Seeing the ruggedly good looking Bradley Cooper in a pair of thick-lens glasses almost pulled off a Clark Kent.  You couldn't help but stare into those bulbous eyes.

So my choice for this week was sort of a win.  Not sure even as I write this, but I was not disappointed either.  You get what you paid for here.  Hill is great, Teller can carry a lead role, and Phillips can shine as a director and story crafter.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment