Thursday, July 9, 2015

The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: TERMINATOR GENISYS







The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic:

on TERMINATOR GENISYS (2015, 126 minutes, PG-13)

The Quick of It -
Last week, I passed this one up for TED 2. This week, I Arnold'd into a chopper. GENISYS is a true reboot for the franchise. They did well with making you feel the connections with the original TERMINATOR but the convoluted time paradox theme sent it spiraling.

The movie is a great one-watch. The action is real and the effects are great. There are plenty of plot twists and extreme action sequences to fill the time.

Weird as it may sound, Arnold seemed the strongest character. The others were muddled and shallow archetypes, lost in explaining what was happening. I scratch my head thinking that the writing is reminiscent of an 80's movie while Arnold was a modern film's character, if that makes any sense. Yeah, right??

Well, my hesitancy was founded concerning the breaking of the time rules for story purposes but it was better than I was expecting. I'm not saying though that this the reboot that TERMINATOR deserved.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment