Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: NERVE


The 'Not-So-Critical' Critic: 
on NERVE (2016, 96 minutes, PG-13)


The Quick of It -
Well, I believe I have reached deep into the mind of a teenage girl and may have lost myself.  Help me... PLEASE!!!

This film is based on a techno-thriller novel by Jeanne Ryan and centered around the potential craziness social media can lead to.  Director team Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, who also paired up for VIAL and the PARANORMAL ACTIVITIES, added to a growing genre for tween-targeted thriller and horror films.


The start was a crazy stumble through internet and app training.  It looked like a 'how to' video on YouTube.  Believe it or not, they did pretty well, as I can imagine those uncivilized toads not familiar with the internet and cell phones would have been quickly lost.  (It's a Trump world, I can say anything disparaging I want....)  And shortly after, you get a Nerve dare for a teenage girl, who is a cheerleader, to bear her butt at a high school event.  They didn't show, but wow.  People are going to jail for that one!  So, not thinking I can survive this one, I make myself promise to push through another 15 minutes as fair play before giving up. 


This casting was very effective and each selection, even for the smaller parts, made an impact.  Emma Roberts (of WE'RE THE MILLERS and AQUAMARINE) as Vee is very endearing and plays the perfect role for this story.  Dave Franco (of NOW YOU SEE ME and 21 JUMP STREET) continues to be a great addition to any project and makes you root for him, even when he is a douche.  The theme of the story directly targets cyberbullying and peer pressure.  I remember being a teenager once (long ago....) and could imagine some of those dares being made, and having your friends pushing you into the 'danger zone'.  Okay yeah... I was a teenager in the 80's.


Once the crap hits the fan, the pace picked up and the danger became all to real.  What seemed a struggle to get past the first 20 minutes pays off.  The hidden agenda slowly revealed itself and held together when you tried not to think too hard.  The climatic end boiled over the edge of the pot and everyone burns.  EVERYONE!  Okay, maybe not that bad, it was a tween movie.  Believe it or not, the end could be a must see.  There are some sappy and quick wrap-ups, but the overall resolution was spot on. 

I cannot endorse this film in all good conscience, as my mind has been corrupted with near-prepubescent hormones.  But... make some time.  You may be as surprised as I was... or needing some strong counseling.  Whatever...

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment